Friday 15 April 2011

Lithuanian Samogitian oven-baked potatoes.

My mother mother told me this recipe earlier this week when I was visiting her. It's an old 'Žemaitiškas' recipe. I don't know if it's any better than any other recipes, but the fact that it comes from that region and from those times really appeals to me.

Potatoes
Carrots (optional)
Oil
Cumin seed
Ground pepper
Salt


I quarter them then set them to boil. It's my personal preference but I also like to add some carrots. When the water starts boiling vigorously, I drain the potatoes, immediately sprinkle them with cumin seeds, ground black pepper, salt and splash it with olive oil (any oil is good, really). Don't overdo the dry stuff, better less than too much. Then I mix everything in the boiling pan and shuffle the spiced potatoes in a tray. I bake it until the ones on top start turning brown on the surface. Ta-dah! (An imitation of a fanfare, used typically to call attention to an impressive entrance or a dramatic announcement.) Oh wait, set the oven for around 200ºC.

No comments:

Post a Comment